How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2253
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, I live in a privately built estate and the builder who

Customer Question

I live in a privately built estate and the builder who built the houses has since gone bankrupt,it is not a council owned estate either. We are an end house with a little land to the side which we have maintained for the past 10 years. None of the children who live in the estate play on this area as there is a huge green to the front. I was wondering as we wanted to build a wall can we move a couple of feet out onto this area. We have mentioned it to some of our neighbours which have no problem with this at all.

Thank you.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 4 years ago.
You will essentially be attempting to take adverse possession of this piece of ground. The registered owner of the ground ( most likely the management company will then have 12 years to seek to reclaim the ground. If they fail to do so then you can make an application to be registered as the owner. I would suggest you fence it off at minimal costs rather then erecting a wall