How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10536
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can a summary judgement that was not defended be overturned

This answer was rated:

Can a summary judgement that was not defended be overturned a year or so later.?

1. In order to set aside a summary judgment order previously granted over a year ago, you will have to seek the leave of the court to defend the action. The money value of the summary judgment will have to be lodged in court to the credit of the action and good reasons will have to be given as to why it was not defended at the outset. Otherwise leave to defend will not be given if there is no good reason why the action should now be allowed to be defended. For example if the defendant was suffering from a disability, such as a psychiatric illness, or did not have notice of the proceedings, these would be good grounds for the granting of leave to defend.

Please RATE the answer positively so that I may get paid

Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

and if badly advised at the time would that be grounds? also what is money value could this be a promissory note?

2. Incorrect legal advice would be grounds. However, you would have to specify how you were badly advised if you cannot point to any definite basis for not doing anything. Secondly, when I say "money value", I mean hard cash, not a promissory note. The money gets lodged with the High Court accountant where it earns a puny interest rate while the action continues. The reason I used the term "money value" was to cover the situations where a summary judgment was obtained in relation to land or property. Here the value of the land or property in money would have to be lodged.

Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid