How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2245
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hello My ex partner and I bought a house 6 years ago. He has

Customer Question

Hello My ex partner and I bought a house 6 years ago. He has since left the country and not made any mortgage repayments. Myself and the bank have tried to contact him with no sucess. I'm struggling to make repayments and now it looks like the the bank are taking legal action against me/us. I have worked fully with the bank on this matter. If he doesn't appear in court will this work in my favour even though we both have been summoned.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately, it won't be of much assistance to you unless the bank has done something which breaches the code od conduction in relation to mortgage arrears.

The mortgage documents allow for full judgement against you both jointly and severably to be obtained. You can negotiate after the bank to indemnify you against his share of the debt if you pay off yours. This is really your only real option. (Obviously the house will have to be sold in such an agreement)