How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Buachaill Your Own Question
Buachaill, Lawyer
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 10528
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Buachaill is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My fiancé and myself are getting married in July in London,

This answer was rated:

My fiancé and myself are getting married in July in London, town where we are living since several years. He is French and I have both the Italian and the Luxembourg nationality. We both have a job, but while I have some real estate properties (two apartments) and will once inherit more, my fiancé has no personal properties. According to the English law, getting married without a specific contract will imply that in case of divorce also my personal properties will have to be shared with my husband?
Thank you for your answer.
1. Yes, if you get divorced, then all your assets will become subject to any order the divorce court may make including requiring you to share some of your personal property assets with your husband. There is no automatic rule that any assets you bring into the marriage are to be treated as separate property which would not be subject to the order of the divorce court. Secondly, you should consider signing a pre-nuptial agreement which would deal with separation upon divorce. Following the Radmacher decision, pre-nuptial agreements are now binding if they represent a genuine attempt to make provision for each spouse consequent upon a divorce happening at some time in the future. In this way you can safeguard your assets should a divorce occur.
Please RATE the Answer positively so that I may get paid
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your answer. Would you be able to give me the name of a lawyer in London whom I could contact for making a pre-nuptial agreement?

2.Christina Blacklaws, Director of Family Law, The Co-operative Legal Services, London W2, UK will provide fixed cost family law solutions.
Buachaill and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for the information!



Best of luck!