Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
33511193

I have a question about defamation law in Ireland pertaining

Customer Question

I have a question about defamation law in Ireland pertaining to Facebook accounts. My question is, to what extent am I legally responsible for material appearing on my Facebook page, either directly or as a link? I understand that I can be held liable for any defamatory material I post myself on my Facebook page. But what about others doing so? For example, if someone posted a defamatory comment about a third party on my Facebook page, would that make me legally liable for the comment? Or if I were to post a link to another Internet site on my Facebook page, would that make me liable for any defamatory material that might be accessible by clicking on the link? Would be interested in finding the answer to this. Thanks!

Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, please continue!

Thank you.

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi Paul

Thank you for your patience. We will continue the search for a Professional for you.
Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your patience, your business is very important to us, we are waiting on the professional with the right expertise to come online. Please let us know if you would like us to continue searching for a professional or if you would like us to close your question.

We appreciate your understanding!
Wendy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, please continue!

Thanks,

Paul

Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately at your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm not in that much of a hurry! If you need more time, that's OK.

However, if you can't find the right professional within the next week or so, then yes, please process the refund.

Regards,

Paul

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Paul,

We will leave your question open to Professionals. Please let me know if you wish to cancel the question.

Regards,

Wendy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'm intrigued that it seems so difficult to find an expert to answer my question in the context of Irish law.

So I would like to ask the question again in the context of the UK (or the US if that doesn't work).

Here it is again, slightly modified in the light of the above:

"I have a question about defamation law pertaining to Facebook accounts. My question is, to what extent am I legally responsible for material appearing on my Facebook page, either directly or as a link? I understand that I can be held liable for any defamatory material I post myself on my Facebook page. But what about others doing so? For example, if someone posted a defamatory comment about a third party on my Facebook page, would that make me legally liable for the comment? Or if I were to post a link to another Internet site on my Facebook page, would that make me liable for any defamatory material that might be accessible by clicking on the link? Would be interested in finding the answer to this. Thanks!"

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Hello Paul,

Your question is open to all of our UK Law professionals as well. Thank you for your continued patience.

Regards,
Wendy
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Did you get any response to this from a UK expert? I haven't heard anything back yet.

Thanks!

Paul

Expert:  Wendy-Mod replied 4 years ago.
Please understand that it’s rare when we cannot find the right professional. Nevertheless, because you are entitled to your money back with no questions asked, we will process your refund immediately, upon your request. Please accept our sincere apology. We hope you’ll think of us again when the need arises.

Regards,
Wendy

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, thanks for trying. Please process my refund.

Paul