How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2245
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Part of my garden has a right of way to members of the public

Customer Question

Part of my garden has a right of way to members of the public who walk along a river bank to fish. The same applies to my neighbour's property, although - about 10+ years ago, he blocked the right of way from his land on to mine. No-one objected as there are better places to fish. I didn't object as he is a very difficult neighbour.

Anyway, in the last couple of weeks he has opened up his blockage and come on to my property and cut down trees along the river bank, leaving the branches lying in the river or on the bank. When I asked him to explain why, he said that there should be no trees there as its a right of way and then he laughed. He didn't seem to be able or willing to make the link to the fact that he has been blocking the right of way for years.

I had to give up but want to prevent him from cutting down what remains or damaging anything else. I went to the police who said it was a civil matter but they would talk to him.

Is there anything that I can do to formally prevent any reoccurance or to get him to replant the trees damaged? I don't want this to escalate.

Thanks for any advice.
Submitted: 4 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Fran-mod replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you. Thank you!