Buachaill
Buachaill, Lawyer
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

how can i find out if my deceased father has left a will in

how can i find out if my deceased father has left a will in southern ireland
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 years ago.

Buachaill :

1. Firstly, there is no central registry of wills in Ireland or the UK. Basically, if your father has died and you are looking for his will, you should speak to the solicitor who dealt with him during his life as well as any solicitors in the town in which he lived. It is most likely that your father made a will with a solicitor whom he dealt with during his life. Additionally, you should search in his personal papers as it is most likely he kept a copy of any will he made. Beyond this, there is little you can do. Where there is a will and it is admitted to probate, then a copy of the will has to be filed in the Probate Registry and it then becomes a public document. At this stage you can read it. HOwever, in Ireland, there is a six month time limit from the date of death within which a child can make a claim on the father's estate under section 117 of the Succession Act, 1965. This provision allows a child tomake a claim where a parent has failed to make proper provision fo rthem in their will having regard to their moral duty to that child. Accordingly, if there is a difficulty, you should attempt to ascertain if there is a will as soon as possible as otherwise your rights will disappear.

Buachaill :

Please ACCEPT the Answer. I will remain available to answer any further queries you may have.

Customer:

If there is a will, how can i find out if it has gone to probate and how would i get to view it?

Buachaill :

2. You have to carry out a search in the Probate Registry in Aras Ui Dhalaigh, which is part of the Four Courts complex in Dublin 7. It would be lodged there and you could view it.

Customer:

can i do that through the internet as i live in the uk

Buachaill :

3. NO, you will have to physically inspect it or get someone else to do so.

Buachaill :

Please ACCEPT the Answer as I have answered your queries.