How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ronan Your Own Question
Ronan, Solicitor
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Satisfied Customers: 2244
Experience:  B. Corp Law, Ll.B. Dip Comm Prop. In general practice for more then 6 years
Type Your Republic of Ireland Law Question Here...
Ronan is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Hi, Im currently going through a divorce. I got married

Resolved Question:


I'm currently going through a divorce. I got married 10 years ago ( septembre 2000). I lost all my bank account statements of this period and when I asked to my bank they answered that they can only go back 7 years.
Is there a way to ask to the bank to find the amount of money I had on my bank account in September 2000 ?

My bank is Bank Of Ireland.

My email [email protected]

Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Republic of Ireland Law
Expert:  Ronan replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Ronan : You can only get these records if the bank still has them. If they have data on their system about you. You are entitled to these records under the data protection act 1988
Ronan :

You can also contact the Data Protection Commissioner

Ronan :

See Link herewith

Ronan :

He will be able to assist you in relation to this

JACUSTOMER-mv4t1te9- :

Do you know how long a bank in ireland has to keep this informations, I mean by law ?

Ronan :

From a Statute of Limitation point of view they can't be sued after 6 years but you can check this out with the financial services ombudman as to what is best practice is

Ronan :

Please see link herewith

JACUSTOMER-mv4t1te9- :

Do you know what people are doing in my case ? 

Ronan and other Republic of Ireland Law Specialists are ready to help you