Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

i am on materinity leave until 5th july, i have now been told…

Customer Question
i am on materinity leave...
i am on materinity leave until 5th july, i have now been told that i am being made redundant from 9th may can i be made redundant while on materinity leave, am i entitled to notice . my job is in the retail trade and with a new baby it suits me to get redundancy, but i ama hoping to get e3 days . i would welcome your advise thanks fiona
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
6/30/2010
Solicitor: Barrister at Law, Barrister replied 8 years ago
Barrister at Law
Barrister at Law, Barrister

You may not be made redundant while on maternity leave or additional maternity leave. You may be made redundant when you return to work .

If you suspect that you are selected for redundancy because you are pregnant, you may qualify to bring a claim for unfair dismissal. Selection for redundancy based on certain grounds such as pregnancy is considered unfair under the unfair dismissals legislation.

Your employer must give you at least 2 weeks notice and pay you your redundancy payment on the date of dismissal.

In circumstances as described above, unless the employee has less than 104 weeks (2 years) service, the employer may not make her redundant until the 19th of July next being 2 weeks after she returns from maternity leave.

This information is general advice only. Full details of employment rights should be sought from a solicitor and the Employment Appeals Tribunal before a decision to proceed with a legal action or dispute is made.

If you are satisfied with the answer I have given and if there is no more information which you need please could you click on the 'Accept' button . If you do not I will not be paid.