Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

My parents (Father is 72 my Mother 62) have a property in Wexford.

They recently had a valuation...
My parents (Father is 72 my Mother 62) have a property in Wexford. They recently had a valuation carried out because I am due to become a father and they want to move to the UK to be closer to their grand children. However, there is a situation which I feel to be, at best, dire. Hopefully you can help me.

They live in a 3 bedroom bungalow on 3/4 acres with one similar property located on an adjacent plot and one to the rear. However, travellers have now purchased land (legally or not is up for debate at this stage) on the remaining adjacent plot which is approximately 6 to 8 acres.

The question would be, who is going to want to purchase a property when it is surrounded by travellers (albeit that they are lovely lovely people) and the value of my parents home very quickly goes from 350,000 euros to almost zero.

If this is the case then they cannot afford to sell, have to spend their remaining years in a house they don't want and are surrounded by travellers who could end up doing anything to the land itself. Alll they want to do is move closer to their grand children.

If this does not make sens then please ask for further clarification as I am desperately worried as to how this matter will develop.

Many thanks in anticipation,
Darragh
6/29/2010
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Unfortunately, their legal options are limited. People have a right to private property under the constitution and a right to alienate that property in anyway they see fit to whom ever they wish. This situation would simply that market forces have reduced the value of the property itself.
Your only option and i would consider it a long shot, is to lobby the council through local politician to De-zone the area. That is to say to have land which was zoned as residential to be rezoned agricultural. This de-zoning process has been something that has been taking place around with certain county council in light of failing property prices and over supply of residential zoned land

You state the travellers purchased the land (legally or not is up for debate)??? This may be your most significant point i would investigate this element

Hi Ronan,

Many thanks for the advice and happy to pay through this account, just a couple of quick points of clarification if you could...

Is the de-zoning something that can be forced through by individuals or is it likely to be dependent upon a number of individual's joint efforts?

To understand the legaility of land purchase, would the relevant information be available for us to investigate personally through the local land office or would we need to seek legal representation?

As far as you know, are there really no other options to consider?

If not then we are faced with a really terrible situation with massive financial implications. Are there legal establishments, to your knowledge, that have reputations for being involved in this type of scenario?

Many thanks again,

Darragh

Re; Dezoning, essentially it's the democratic process. You lobby your representatives, a motion is put forward at county council meeting and a vote is taken at Local level in relation to the matter. Decision is made on a majority basis so to answer your question probably best to do so collectively if possible

To be honest you should probably engage a Solicitor to do Registry of Deeds and Land Registry searches on your behalf. Do you have any basis for thinking that the property wasn't legally transferred to them??

From a legal point of view no other options that i can see
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor

Bit of a battle ahead I think...really appreciate your help Ronan.

Will give you a shout if anything else is needed.

Kind regards,

Darragh

Glad to help