Republic of Ireland Law

Republic of Ireland law questions answered by Experts

Hi, I bought an apartment back in 2006. It turns out that…

Customer Question
Hi, I bought an apartment back...

I bought an apartment back in 2006. It turns out that the builders (coalport) did not complete the building correctly and has now been deemed a fire hazard by the council. I contacted my solicitor about this and they stated that they had a cert which stated that the building was satisfactory and hence allowed me to purchase the property.

The management company is also owned by the builders so any money we have spent goes to the builders not on the apartment complex.

There is a committee and i have also talked to TDS and relation to this and other events.

Where do i stand, i am told i have no chance of getting anything back on this but i am married and have a 1 year old son and im tired of being the victim for everything.

To date the builders have been order to complete the work and they have destroyed the complex further.

Any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks

Chris.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Republic of Ireland Law
6/16/2010
Solicitor: Ronan, Solicitor replied 8 years ago
Ronan
Ronan, Solicitor
Sue the engineer that furnished the details in relation to the fire safety certificate together with the Building Control Authority who issued the Certificate. You will obviously need your own engineers report stating that it is not compliant for the purposes of a fire Safety Certificate. The building Control authority is a state body and as such a good financial mark.

You can also sue builder but it sounds like he may not have anything if you win