Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Can a PCT patent application be revived 5 years after the…

Customer Question
Can a PCT patent application...
Can a PCT patent application be revived 5 years after the priority date?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 day by:
5/23/2018
IP Lawyer: Josie-Mod,
 replied 1 month ago
Josie-Mod
Hi, I'm Josie, a moderator for this topic.
I've noticed you have not yet received a response to this question.
I wonder whether you're ok with continuing to wait for an answer.
If you are, please let me know. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.
Thank you!
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I am still waiting for the answer to the original question
IP Lawyer: KLAW, Lawyer replied 27 days ago
KLAW
KLAW, Lawyer
Good afternoon. I am a legal expert attorney who will assist you today.
If the priority year has passed, you have two options:
1) file a new PCT application and not claim priority. You then introduce at least an extra year of prior art, but if you have not published anything yourself, that may be acceptable, and accepted;
2) try to restore the application. Such a request needs to be filed with the filing office, in your case the USPTO. They will probably accept the restoration request since the USPTO uses the 'unintentional' principle. However, the PCT application should be seen as a bundle of national applications. Be aware that many other countries patent offices use the 'all due care' principle in restoration procedures where you have to demonstrate that in spite of all due care this error happened as an isolated error in a normal well functioning system. If you could argue that, there will be a fair chance that other offices also will accept the restoration.I hope this clarifies. Please don’t forget to rate the question with stars. We as attorneys are not employees of Just Answer and are not paid unless you rate the question with stars.