Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

What is the best way to go about registering a trademark?

Customer Question
Should used a lawyer? How do...
Should used a lawyer?
How do I find a lawyer who does this kind of thing?
Submitted: 23 days ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
4/3/2018
IP Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 23 days ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

H​ello. Let me see if I can assist. I am an IP attorney with over 25 years experience. Give me a moment to review and type my reply.

Y​ou can register a trademark locally (in your state) or federally (with the USPTO office). It is easier and faster to start at the local level first. You do not need an attorney. However, the first step is the conduct a trademark and business name search of the name you want to trademark with the Wyoming Sec of State:

https://wyobiz.wy.gov/Business/FilingSearch.aspx

You want to be sure that there is not a similar type of business as yours using a similar name. If not, you can register the business name and you can apply for a trademark on the Wyoming Sec of State website.

Customer reply replied 23 days ago
Hello. I am already established with the SOS. I am wondering specifically about federal trademarks for my name and logo. I should have been more specific.
IP Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 22 days ago

T​hanks for the clarification. I assume from your response that you already have a local trademark registered with the State of Wyoming. To now apply for a federal trademark, you will need to conduct a search of the name you wish to trademark with the USPTO. Here the link to conduct the search:

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/gate.exe?f=tess&state=4806:3793lw.1.1

If the name is ***** ***** can apply online:

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/filing-online

Customer reply replied 22 days ago
What about a trademark tough. I hear that this is extremely complicated and should involve a lawyer.

Y​ou can use an attorney or you can do it online. Here's the basics for applying online:

https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-getting-started/trademark-basics

You can then determine whether you want to hire an attorney or not.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer