Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I am actual copyright holder of a musical composition that…

Customer Question
I am actual copyright...

I am actual copyright holder of a musical composition that went viral , how can I get the valuation and or affordable appraisal, of its equitable value?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

Certificate of registration

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

I've filed civil complaint for copyright infringement, ,,I have no funds to hire prior attorney

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
4/2/2018
IP Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Thanks so much for your patience. There's no specific guidelines to the valuation of a copyright. Like any piece of personal property, you'll need experts to help you figure that out. On justnaswer.com, you can get appraisal experts, but they usually do things like lamp shades and antiques.

There are some companies that do this professionally (click here). Also, sometimes accountants or even experts in your field may be able to help you evaluate how much it's worth. Plus, you don't need a professional evaluation. You could decide to sell it for $1 if you would like or sell it for millions. It's entirely up to you.

Because I value your input, I would like to know whether you have any other questions for me today that I could help you with?

I knew everything that you said already ,I wanted a valuation. And affordable equitable appraisal of my music copyright . ..so I'm asking for specific reference

I see. Did you see the reference I provided earlier in our discussion?