Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I have a project that is/will be produced through several…

Customer Question
I have a project that...
I have a project that is/will be produced through several different mediums (comic, video game, etc) that an ex-friend and I created. I have done and contributed to said project 80%, while this ex-friend only contributed 20% comparatively. Nothing has been copyrighted yet.I would like to know what I could do to make sure 100% of the project (IP) will become mine as I continue to work on the project solo. I am the only one working on it and producing it-- and it has been mostly me doing that from the start anyway. If this means I need to get a copyright on all of it: how do I go about doing that?Also: is it true that if I'm the only one producing anything of this project and I accumulate a tome of work for said project that only I have done, technically it has all then become my IP by virtue of production/work anyway (should it be contested in court by this other person that has done nothing and has no copyright)?
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/29/2018
IP Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

yes absent written agreements to the contrary, the IP would belong to you since you were self-funding and developing. You may want to look at perhaps exploring a patent, trademark, etc. to further protect your IP ownership.

Ah, okay! Where do I go to do that? Do you have any advice on how I might be able to do that all myself? If like to do it as soon as possible because I do not trust this ex-friend to not try to thwart my work otherwise. I honestly have no idea how to do all of that in such a way that it'll be fool-proof and done correctly, so any and all advice is greatly appreciated.

There are patent agents who can help if you google it.

Otherwise an IP attorney could help. If you contact the US Patent and Trademark office, there may be self-help options.