Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I need to speak with someone about intellectual property…

I need to speak with...
I need to speak with someone about intellectual property contracts.
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/25/2018
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today.

What is your question?

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I paid someone $2,900 plus $500 for editing cost on a mix and master of 10 cd's. We wrote our own contract and the other party has not delivered anything except more invoices for more services after we paid he in full. Now they want a confidential contract with invoice sent March 23rd. We sent an text saying he can keep the money and the project is over. We need someone to notify the other party that the contract has ended.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Before I pay you 59$ can you tell me of your experience with this type of thing since I am a retired Music Teacher, and can not afford to waste money after losing so much of it. Thank you
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
$59

All you need to do is send an email or letter to the person stating that you no longer require their services and to cancel all work. It was unfortunate that you told them to keep the money though; you could have possibly brought a small claims court case against the other party to recover the money that you have paid since it appears they haven't upheld their end of the bargain.

Don't accept that phone call request, it is automatic and we can just continue to speak through this chat window.

If for some reason they try to recover the extra invoices against you by suing you in small claims court, you should bring a counterclaim at that point to recover the original money that you already paid.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Thank You.
2nd Concern:Since they have 6 of my songs can they sue me if I own a copyright and ISRC codes on my work submitted to him?
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
Two of the six songs were already published before.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
I was just making a revision.
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
In other words can I put my new music submitted to him on a CD or sell downloads of work submitted to him that I quickly put ISRC codes on, in addition to the copyrights I had before submitting the work to him? Or do I need to fear retaliation?

If you own the copyright, then there is no issue. There potentially could have been an issue if he did work and provided you with the new work with his edits because he could potentially claim that he has a partial copyright interest. But it sounds like this didn't occur so no need to be concerned. Also, going forward, you should make sure that any contract states that the other party does not have any copyright in the work and that you retain copyright for any provided work or derivative work.

Customer reply replied 30 days ago
We did send him an email. We also sent him
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
a text on March 21st to end the project. You said previous to use a letter or email which we did in response to the new invoice.
Thank you!

Okay, sounds good.

I hope this has been helpful. Is so, please provide a positive rating so I get credit for helping you today. 5 stars would be greatly appreciated!

Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer
Customer reply replied 30 days ago
One more thing. He sent about a 45 second Rough mix of one song. Should I not share that one song out of risk of a lawsuit if it was remixed by another company and now does not reflect his editing work. This is my last question before rating you.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I had one more question forCustomer It would be greatly appreciated if that question could be answered. That one he started working on was the best song on the album. It would be a shame if no one gets to hear it because of this.
Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I have given this song to another company to edit, mix and master so his work is not reflected.

What is your question? If you have given the song to another company and his work will not be reflected in it, then you have no concerns about him making a copyright claim on it.

Even if this company's work sounds similar to what he did, if it was independently done by the other company without any knowledge of what the original person was going to do, then there is no copyright claim possible.

Customer reply replied 29 days ago
I got charged that $59. As soon as it is reversed I will rate you. I am on the 7 day free trial so hopefully the reversal occurs by the 28th. Thanks for easing both my mind and my husbands! I would recommend you anytime!

Thank you!

Customer reply replied 27 days ago
Thanks! This my last comment and last $36 charge.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I cancelledd already. I No new question just came to rate you.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
I got billed for this already. No new charge today.
Customer reply replied 27 days ago
My last charge was made March 27th for your last question answered by you on March 26th.

Ok

Thelawman2
Thelawman2
Thelawman2, Lawyer