Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I would like to get a gun license but i have a drug felony…

Customer Question
I would like to...

I would like to get a gun license but i have a drug felony over 11 years ago

Lawyer's Assistant: Have any charges been filed? If so, when is the next court date?

Naw i already been convicted of it 2006 its over.. i have not been in trouble since then.

Lawyer's Assistant: In what state did this occur?

TN

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thats all

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/24/2018
IP Lawyer: Zoey, JD, Attorney replied 1 month ago
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney

I'm Zoey.

I've reviewed your post. Please be patient as I may need to research for you, and it also takes time to compose and type a reply.

For a drug offense, Tennessee does not afford you all the same options as with other non-violent crimes. An expungement will get you your gun rights back, but you do not qualify for one under Tennessee law.

https://www.tncourts.gov/expungements

That means you'd need a pardon from your governor. If that pardon does not specifically restore your gun rights, you would THEN be eligible to get your felony expunged. That would give you your state and Federal rights back.

The Tennessee Bar Association gives information about obtaining a pardon here:

http://www.tba.org/journal/pardon-me

Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD
Zoey, JD, Attorney