Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I wrote and copyrighted a novel titled "Eclipse" in 1982.

Customer Question
I wrote and copyrighted...

I wrote and copyrighted a novel titled "Eclipse" in 1982. The story takes place int the museum of natural history in New York City. The book brings to life a dinosaur, mummy, other reptiles and so on.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No. A movie called the "Night At The Museum" followed many years later.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Yes. Many people who have read my book and have seen the movie, say they thought the movie came from the book I had written, even though it was years later.

Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/24/2018
IP Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am working on a response to your inquiry and should have that to you shortly.

If the movie is substantially similar to your book, the key to any proof of actual infringement would likely depend on their being evidence that whomever wrote the screenplay (or other book) from which the movie was derived used your work to create their work. This can sometimes be shown by such similarity that it must be more than coincidence, but simply similar stories may not be sufficient. The similarity must be "strikingly similar" such that it is not reasonable to believe the works were created independently. Assuming there is a provable copyright infringement case in this instance and that the movie is based on or the writers relied on your protected book to create it, the real issue I see at this point is the statute of limitations. The statute of limitations is that period of time within which any legal claims must be filed or lost. For copyright infringement that period is three (3) years from the date one has knowledge or can be charged with having knowledge (a sort of should have known standard) that the infringement occurred. Here where the movie at issue was released around 2006, you may have to face this hurdle should you wish to pursue a legal claim. Even if you did not see the movie or learn of the potential similarities until later, you may be said to have fallen in the should have known category since the movie was well publicized and not hidden. That said, you may want to consult with an attorney in your area to determine whether the state of limitations does bar any claim you may have had and, if it possibly could be avoided, if the similarities are sufficient to make it worth considering some compensation through either a demand letter and, if not successful, a lawsuit.

If you need further assistance, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.

Thank you. I'm not sure how long copyright laws are in effect. But I do believe my book and the movie have at lease three and more relative points of being similar. It being in the Museum Of Natural History in New York City. A dinosaur coming to life as well as other displays coming to life. As in the movie "A Night At The Museum."

That is certainly a starting point, but you would likely need more to show a striking similarity such that no reasonable person could believe two authors independently came up with their stories. That said, I believe the statute of limitations is the bigger issue - meaning that even if it was directly copied from your book and even though you have a valid copyright, since more than 3 years have passed since the movies release, you may no longer be able to file a lawsuit to enforce your rights as the copyright holder.