Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

How do copyright remain in effect? I am looking at 2 songs (

Customer Question
How long do copyright...

How long do copyright remain in effect ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

I am looking at 2 songs ( words only )to use in my life story. One from a Hymnal copyright in 1902 and one in hymnal copyright 1938. Both books are from Mennonite Publishing, Scottdale Pa. Thanks for you help. Irvin Martin

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I will not use entire hymn and could also not use text as printed if that helps.

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/23/2018
IP Lawyer: Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Robert McEwen, Esq.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

The 1902 one is public domain (anything published prior to 1923 is public domain).

The 1938 one MIGHT be public domain if it was published with notice of copyright but the copyright was not renewed. If it was renewed, then it's 95 years from the date of publication. Records 1978 to present can be found here: http://cocatalog.loc.gov/cgi-bin/Pwebrecon.cgi?DB=local&PAGE=First. Works registered prior to 1978 may be found only in the Copyright Public Records Reading Room.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it positively (3 or more stars). Look for the stars on your screen (★★★★★). You may need to scroll left/right/up/down to see these stars, but note that the rating is what closes out this question, so it is necessary that you do so.

Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?

In South Carolina, employers are not required to provide employees with vacation benefits, either paid or unpaid. SC Dept. of Labor FAQs. If an employer chooses to provide such benefits, it must comply with the terms of its established policy or employment contract. SC Dept. of Labor FAQs. An employer is required to notify its employees in writing of any benefit policies. SC Code 41-10-30, SC Dept. of Labor FAQs.

An employer may lawfully establish a policy or enter into a contract denying employees payment for accrued vacation leave upon separation from employment. See O’Neal v. Intermedical Hospital of SC, 355 S.C. 499, 585 S.E.2d 526 (SC App. 2003).

An employer may also lawfully establish a policy or enter into a contract disqualifying employees from payment of accrued vacation upon separation from employment if they fail to comply with specific requirements, such as giving two weeks notice or being employed as of a specific date of the year. See O’Neal v. Intermedical Hospital of SC, 355 S.C. 499, 585 S.E.2d 526 (SC App. 2003).

An employer is required to pay accrued vacation to an employee upon separation from employment if its policy or contract requires it. SC Code 41-10-10(b).

Neither South Carolina’s Legislature nor its courts have stated whether an employer is required to pay accrued vacation leave upon separation from employment if the employer’s established policy or employment contract is silent on the matter.

An employer may cap the amount of vacation leave an employee may accrue over time. See SC Code 41-10-10(b); O’Neal v. Intermedical Hospital of SC, 355 S.C. 499, 585 S.E.2d 526 (SC App. 2003).

An employer may implement a “use-it-or-lose-it” policy requiring employees to use their leave by a set date or lose it. . See SC Code 41-10-10(b); O’Neal v. Intermedical Hospital of SC, 355 S.C. 499, 585 S.E.2d 526 (SC App. 2003).

Apologies for that statement regarding South Carolina. That was meant for another customer, and for some reason it got posted here. Please let me know that you received your answer.

Thanks!

I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable.

If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!

▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service positively. It's only after you rate that I am credited.

Hello?