Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Deleted a copyright video accidentally from a file share in…

Deleted a copyright video...

Deleted a copyright video accidentally from a file share in Dropbox and now the copyright holder is threatening to report me.

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

None but on the persons website it says all their material is copyrighted

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No. I reached out to a couple attorneys but it’s the weekend. I haven’t been served with anything and no motice or filing. This all happened yesterday. I’m freaking out. I didn’t know I couldn’t delete the video

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That’s it for now

3/18/2018

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Just because you deleted the video, the owner does not still have a copy? What would they sue you for, since to violate a copyright you have to use the video or display it in commerce. Deleting a video is not a copyright violation.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

IM ashamed to say it but it was for an adult homemade video. She sent me a link via email, I clicked on it and it took me to Dropbox. I downloaded it to my computer then deleted the file because I thought it was just a temporary file. The video is only for personal use.

Thank you for your reply.

It is NOT a copyright violation, there is nothing to sue you for. Sounds, more like she is trying to extort money from you.

Phone call session started

Thank you.