Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I am creating an app that has some web-based competitors…

I am creating an app...
I am creating an app that has some web-based competitors that I have looked at but not copied directly any of their information. The app product I am making will have different features and be developed from the ground up without any use of the other competitors products. How can I make sure that I am not in any legal risk by creating a competitor when I have seen the competition's products and their inadequacies and attempted to make my own?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/15/2018
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

If you did not copy the code, design, actual content, there is no issue. What you are doing is business research and adapting and improving which does not violate any intellectual property.

What elements of design would be an issue? For example I would like to have patients fill out survey questions in a certain way, if the mechanism to answer the question is similar to the way the other product has then answer the question then is that possible design infringement? I guess I really just want to be sure what is an is not covered under the definition of design since there may be overlap just in the nature of surveying individuals. Thanks

If you copied the entire content from their site, wording, ordering of the survey questions, font

Great thank you
Very welcome. Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Infolawyer, Lawyer