Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Last year we entered into a government competition requiring…

Customer Question
Last year we entered...

Last year we entered into a government competition requiring us to submit a business plan to the judges. By mistake, this highly confidential businesses plan was posted online. When I asked them to take it down they quickly assured me they did. I just discovered it's still up and discoverable under multiple search terms.

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

We are in Arizona. The local chapter submitted our materials to the National Organization.

Lawyer's Assistant: What steps have you taken so far?

Asked them to take it down. They said they did. But its still up.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/15/2018
IP Lawyer: Attorney Wendy, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Attorney Wendy

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. I am preparing a response to your question and should have that to you shortly.

First, I am sorry for this situation. Inadvertent disclosure of confidential material is always stressful and, at least in part, resolution and re-protection of that material can count on the goodwill of those who received it. Confidential information can be of many sorts - business strategy, customer lists, financial information about the business, its clients or its products/services. With a business plan, any or all of these types of information are often included. Unfortunately, when you mistakenly disclose that information to another party it can be difficult to wholly undue the damage. Here, however, where the document is posted online by the recipient, you have requested its removal and they agreed to remove it, you have a better foundation for its removal. At this point, one option is to write a cease and desist letter. Putting the request/demand in writing can provide some basis to seek relief from a court if the other party fails to do so. The business plan would presumably be your property and thus you are simply asking for its return to your control. Things that may be included in a letter include the identify the document or information, that you previously notified them of the error in providing it to them, that they were asked to and agreed to take it off the website but have failed to do so. You are now asking them to remove it and to destroy any and all copies, in whatever format (digital or hard copy or otherwise stored) in their possession. If they fail to remove it by a set date - depending on the size of the organization that has it, say 7-14 days from the date of your letter (enough time for it to make it to the right person who can actually take it down), you will be forced to take further action. A specific request that they confirm to you in writing when that has been done can be helpful as well. You may also want to ask for confirmation that it has not been transmitted or shared with any other parties other than through the site.

I hope this is helpful. If you need additional help, please reply to this email. If I answered your question and provided excellent service, I would greatly appreciate your 5 star rating at this time.

Please note: This information is for educational purpose only and is not legal advice. No course of action is being proposed and no attorney-client relationship or privilege has been formed as a result of this conversation.