Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

My daughter, an artist, wants to paint a mural of a Matisse…

My daughter, an artist...

My daughter, an artist, wants to paint a mural of a Matisse painting that was done in the 1920's. is there any issue with copyright law?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

None

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

3/13/2018
DamienBosco
DamienBosco, Attorney

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Please give me a moment to review your question. I may ask some questions to clarify issues.

The Matisse estate is very active in attempting to protect the copyright of his paintings even as far back as the 1920s. So, there could be some risk involved. However, there is a kind of use that is statutorily defined as “fair use." Section 107 of the Copyright Act provides that reproductions can be made for the purposes of “criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, … scholarship or research,” without infringing. So the mural could fall under the fair use protection depending on the purpose of the painting.

We can discuss this more if you want to do so.

If you have further questions or you need further assistance, just let me know.

If not, please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Thank you that is great

You are welcome!

Please remember to rate my answer between 3 to 5 stars without any additional costs to you. That is how I get credit for answering your question. Best regards.

DamienBosco
DamienBosco, Attorney
DamienBosco
DamienBosco
DamienBosco, Attorney