Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Can a nomographic map be copyrighted. None. just an idea…

Customer Question
Can a nomographic map...

Can a nomographic map be copyrighted

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

None. just an idea

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/13/2018
IP Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks for your patience. The answer to your question is yes, a nomographic map can be copyrighted. Under the Copyright Act, any writing, recording, or photograph can be copyrighted. A nomographic map is a writing and it can be copyrighted. The only thing you would have to watch out for is that your map doesn't just copy another map or is so non-distinct that it would be difficult to attribute to a specific person. Thus, if you include your signature, a specific watermark, a typographical font, or anything that makes it uniquely yours, then the copyright will sustain.

Did you have any other questions for me about this today?