Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

At an auction I received 1000 photographic slides by a

Customer Question
At an auction I...

At an auction I received 1000 photographic slides by a national geographic photographer. I.want to sell these slides online, but I am concerned about copyright issues. I called the photographer. But he didn't call back.

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

I just have the slides and Bill of puchase from auction. This is the second time they have been sold.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/11/2018
IP Lawyer: Lorens35, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lorens35
Lorens35, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in satisfied customer ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

There may be a slight delay in my replies as I am assisting other JA customers also. I will reply to your follow up questions.

WHILE WE ARE CHATTING DO NOT CLICK ON THE BUTTON TO REQUEST A SECOND OPINION. IT WILL LOCK ME OUT OF THE CHAT AND PREVENT ME FROM REPLYING TO YOU.

Are you looking to sell the slides, themselves, or reproduce the images on the slides and sell those reproduced images?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
I want to sell some slides themselves and a few make reproductions.

Thank you for the additional information.

The sale of actual slides you lawfully own is not a problem. Each slide is like owning an original piece of art and you, as an owner, always have the right to sell your personal property. It is a basic right of ownership.

With regard to reproducing the images for sale, that is a different story.

You will need permission of the owner of the copyright to sell reproductions of the original artistic expression. That may or may not be the photographer.

If the photographer is not responding, you may want to contact National Geographic. If the photographer was working for them then they may own the copyright and reproduction rights for licensing.

If not, they may be able to refer you to a manager or agent for the photographer who can help you.

If (and only if) you are completely satisfied that your question is answered professionally and accurately, even if not the answer you were hoping to get, please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Are you still online with me?

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you for using JA.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago

Loren, I cancelled the Paypal money because I did not want to join JustAnswer. It appeared I had to join in order to get the answer from you. In the meantime, you responded to me. You answered and never received payment from me, since paypal returned my payment. I owe you for your time and am sorry about the mixup. Please let me know how I can pay you your $50. Thank you. Sharon ********

Thank you for reaching out.
Please be aware that I, and the other Experts on the site, are site users like you (I am not an employee of JA), and I do not (and can not) see any account info or address payment issues, but Customer Service will be happy to assist you.If you are having trouble, you can reach Customer Service assistance at this link:http://ww2.justanswer.com/helpwhere you can chat, call, or send a support request. You can also email directly to***@******.***Thanks Again.
By the way, if you leave a 5 star rating JA will compensate me.
(click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
A bonus is not expected, but is always appreciated.
Thank you,
Lorens35
Lorens35
Lorens35, Lawyer