Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I was not able to make my case for the complaint that was…

Customer Question
I was not able...

I was not able to make my case for the complaint that was filed against me for the copyright infringement. They are withholding my access to funds in my PayPal account. What can I do?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in South Korea. The court is in Northern district of Chicago

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Yes. This is my last mail from the plaintiff. Dear Sirs:
The defendants operating the Defendant Internet Stores listed in Schedule A to the Complaint are hereby advised:
Plaintiff has charged Defendants with violations of United States federal and state laws prohibiting trademark and copyright infringement. A copy of the Default Judgment Motion documents, are attached.
These and other legal documents may be obtained from Plaintiff’s attorney, Keith A. Vogt,***@******.*** and at the following website: http://vogtinternetenforcement.website/?case=17-08201
Any answer or other response to the Complaint should be filed with the Clerk of the Court, United States District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, Eastern Division, Chicago, Illinois within twenty-one (21) days from the day you receive the summons.
If no appearance or pleading is filed, the Court may render a judgment against the defendants.
As always, if I can be of further assistance, please call or e-mail.
Sincerely,
Keith A. Vogt. Esq.

Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
Do not call me. Please answer via email.
3/8/2018
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 month ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Unfortunately, you will not get your funds released until you appear in court with an attorney or through an attorney in the US in the US District Court in Chicago and resolve this matter. Copyright infringement in the US is considered a serious violation, so it appears you have been sued for violations and now you need to engage a intellectual property attorney in Chicago to represent you on this matter and you can get one at the same sites used by other attorneys http://www.hg.org or http://www.superlawyers.com

That is the only way to stop them from coming after you and seizing any accounts you have in the US.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
First of all, there was no sales ever made of the claimed item. We only had it up on our site as a sample. Secondly, I am a South Korean citizen and operating in South Korea. Does the US court have jurisdiction over me to make a judgment to freeze my Korea PayPal account?

Thank you for your reply

You do not have to make any sales, just displaying an infringing item is in itself infringement. Under the US Copyright Laws and international treaties, for intellectual property/copyright infringement, the US District Courts have jurisdiction over people in foreign countries.

So yes, the US court has jurisdiction to freeze your assets in the US.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer