Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Can i get a trademark for the words "original black garlic"?

Customer Question
can i get a trademark...
can i get a trademark for the words "original black garlic"?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
3/7/2018
IP Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Is it associated with a product you are selling?
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
we manufacture and wholesale black garlic. it is really aged garlic but when aged the garlic turns black so I couldn't get the trademark for black garlic as they said descriptive, can I call it "original black garlic" ? is it a safe bet or generally a no no from ipo?
Not likely. It would also likely be considered descriptive. You can attempt it but you may want to consider an alternate name! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
acceptable thanks
Good luck! Please select the 5 star (*****) rating on your page for the answer. That’s how I get paid by the site. Much appreciated!
Infolawyer, Lawyer