Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I'm starting my own supplement business and want to protect…

Customer Question
I'm starting my own...

I'm starting my own supplement business and want to protect my formulas because while there are similar products on the market, I believe mine are different enough because of the nutrients I use, and they will be more effective. I'm concerned that once people find out that I can eliminate migraines for the vast majority of people, my formula will be copied.

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

Not sure what you mean, I have my first shipment with a label I designed with my company name. My formula is on the label and the manufacturer has it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No just started reading about this when a friend mentioned it yesterday.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm at the beginning stages but I don't think a patent is the right way to go. Sounds too expensive and takes too long

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
1/7/2018
IP Lawyer: PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law replied 6 months ago
PhillipsEsq
PhillipsEsq, Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Patent would not be a way to go. Secret formula for your ingredients would be proper. So, you should be looking at applying for Trade Secrets Protection. Several companies can have the same ingredients listed on their products' labels. However, the effectiveness of the products would depend on the formulas-- how much of the ingredients are actually in the product, etc. For information on Trade Secrets Protection, click here.

Goodluck with your new venture,

A positive rating to my response is appreciated so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for giving a positive rating.

Thank you for your cooperation.