Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I just had a quick question. I am a musician. I'm just now…

Customer Question
Hi, I just had a...
Hi, I just had a quick question . I am a musician. I'm just now starting to get in the game so to speak and I have a producer that is very interested in helping me with my music. I thought he was a good guy, but i have a feeling that he might be trying to steal all of my original music. I was wondering if there's a possibility of me being able to copyright my music?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
1/4/2018
IP Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

1) Your music is protected under the US Copyright laws whether you register them or not. Registration proivdes certain additional protections but is not mandatory.

2) You can register your copyright here:

https://www.copyright.gov/registration/

You do not need an attorney to register your copyright.

3) Read very carefully any agreements that you make and make sure all your aggreements are in writing. What the producer may try to do is have you assign your copyright to him. The other thing he may try to do is have you sign a personal services contract where he gets money from you regardless of whether he does any work for you or not.

4) Before you sign anything with anyone you should at least consult with an attorney/agent. If your music is getting attention it is worth your while to do so.

5) Try to educate yourself on the basic priciples of the music industry. There are many resources on line. for example here is a good start:

http://www.musicthinktank.com/blog/legal-basics-for-artists-authors-creators-and-musicians.html

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer