Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I would like some clarification on some IP rights as a

Customer Question
former employee of a company...
I would like some clarification on some IP rights as a former employee of a company, non-compete clause (Virginia) and creating a competing product. I'd like to know if I can create a similar product once terminated from the company, and what the non-complete agreement means.
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
12/24/2017
IP Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 1 month ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist today. Non-compete agreements are generally enforceable so long as the terms are reasonable. Your ability to create a competing product depends on the language of the non-compete agreement. It should provide the amount of time that you cannot compete after termination and the distance from your prior employer.

Hope that helps. Anything else? If not, a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer