Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I need a copyright lawyer. I wrote a book. "Los ojos de

Customer Question
I need a copyright...

I need a copyright lawyer

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

I wrote a book. "Los ojos de Carmen." It's a novella for Spanish learners. Two other companies that sell my book created workbooks to go with my book. "Los ojos de Carmen Workbook." I think they should pay me royalties, right? I have the rights. "Los ojos de Carmen" is my original creation.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The publisher is going to send an email on my behalf telling them that I want royalties or some arrangement. The workbooks have been published many years ago.

Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 day by:
12/25/2017
IP Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you. have you copyrighted your work? Did you provide the two companies with a license to use your work for their workbooks? If not,you need to put a license agreement in place for their use of your work and to pay you royalties for the use and publication of your works. Although the drafting of such agreements is beyond the scope of this site, that would protect your copyrighted work going forward.

Hope that helps. A positive rating would appreciated.

Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer