Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I bought a domain name LittleAgreements.com four years ago.

Customer Question
I bought it with the...
I bought a domain name LittleAgreements.com four years ago. I bought it with the intention of developing a mediation/agreement app for web and mobile. Recently I was invited to meet with a local mediation company. After meeting with them, they told me that I cannot enter into the mediation/tech space because they said that I knew of their intention to enter that space. While they have done nothing to date in that space - and giving their threat that I have crossed some sort of imaginary line, I am assuming that anybody can have intentions at any time and that this mediation company has overstepped their boundaries in stating that I am infringing upon their rights with any effort in this space. Is this correct?
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
12/23/2017
IP Lawyer: John, Attorney replied 2 months ago
John, Attorney

If they had the app developed and a patent filed, you MAYBE would be barred from developing the app depending on the similarities of design and function. But you are correct that, no, another company cannot just claim they are developing a product ergo you have to stop developing yours of a similar function...it just doesn't work that way. Only a valid patent with enough similarity to your product would stop you from developing your product.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Attorney