Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Are the questions and answers on the game show Family Feud…

Customer Question
Are the questions and...

Are the questions and answers on the game show Family Feud Copyright able. Question: 100 people were surveyed: name animals that begin with the letter M. The contestants on the show attempted to name animals that start with the letter M. The survey showed that Monkey was first with 46 picks, Next- Mouse-32 picks, Mule 12 picks,mice -12 picks. Is there anything here that can be copyrighted?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

Not sure of your question

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No. That is not what I'm asking

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The questions and answers are in print

Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
12/19/2017
IP Lawyer: Lori, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Lori
Lori, Lawyer

Hello. Let me see if I can assist you today. The company that owns Family Feud ("FMNA") holds copyrights and trademarks on the content and the logos, etc. pertaining to the Family Feud show. If you are using the questions for personal and non-commercial use - you are authorized to do without seeking consent.

Hope that helps. Note -- a positive rating would be greatly appreciated.

any question in a survey and or responses from contestants is considered content an, thus, is copyrighted, yes? So in order to use the content one must contact them for permission, yes?
Correct as to questions. Is my understanding that the responses are not copyrighted. Hope that helps.
I may try the call but let's go forth. So the questions that they create for the survey are copyrighted, yes? The responses from people that respond to the survey aren't, yes. I understand that the contestants responses can't be becuause there is no control. Are you familiar with the game.?
Agreed. Yes I am familiar with game. There is only creative content on the survey questions.
Lori, Are the correct answers received in the survey copyrighted?
No. Hope that helps.
IP Lawyer: Joycelaw, Attorney replied 2 months ago
Joycelaw
Joycelaw, Attorney
Phone call session started
Lori
Lori
Lori, Lawyer