Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

You hereby transfer and assign to our publishing designee,

Customer Question
Salem Rose Music Publishing, LLC...
You hereby transfer and assign to our publishing designee, Salem Rose Music Publishing, LLC (“Publisher”), to the full extent of your control or administration interest therein an undivided fifty (50%) percent of musical compositions which are written, owned or controlled by you prior to or during the Term.Does it mean I give all my music albums prior to the term to this publisher or I can choose what to give
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
12/17/2017
IP Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

Yes, that clause is way too broad and would be read to mean you are giving up 1/2 ownership of all "musical compositions which are written, owned or controlled by you prior to or during the Term. "

I hope this information is helpful.

Thank you for your question.

I hope this information is helpful.

Now the contract has a term period.This clause will only be effective within the term period right?
But it didn’t use the word ALL. So how do we know if it means all
The Term shall consist of an initial period and one (1) separate option. During the Initial Period You shall deliver one Album no later than one (1) month following the date hereof. You shall deliver any subsequent Album no later than eighteen (18)
months following the delivery of the immediately preceding Album.This is the term period for the contract.Now does the publishing claim clause expire after this contractual term period fullfilled?

This clause will only be effective within the term period right?

No that is not what the contract says. I can review the entire contract if you attach it here.

full contract. let me know how this publishing right thing works and when it will terminate

That is a horrible contract. Why 75% and not 100%?

Why aren't you allowed to record your own material again for 6 years?

Why is there no advance or signing bonus?

Why can't you veto the licensing of your material?

You can find entertainment attorneys in Nevada listed by locaiton here.

Please follow up on this with a local attorney.

I hope this information is helpful.

You might want to get a copy of

https://www.abebooks.com/Business-Music-Definitive-Guide-Industry-Krasilovsky/5150130097/bd

A fair contract would require the company to pay the production costs and would specify a promotional budget, but none of that is covered in the contract you posted.