Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

Can a Chinese company register a trademark in the United…

Customer Question
Can a Chinese company register...
Can a Chinese company register a trademark in the United States ? If so, what does the Chinese company need.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
12/16/2017
IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only. Please feel free to ignore any phone service request, the expert does not send those unless asked by customer and they are sent by the site automatically.

Any foreign company or entity or individual can register a trademark in the US like a US company can. They would need to file an application for trademark with the USPTO, https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-application-process/filing-online/initial-application-forms

They need proof they own the rights to the mark and proof that they use the mark in commerce, such as copies of business materials or advertisements showing the mark.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Does the USPTO prejudice Chinese companies in particular?

Thank you for your reply.

No, they allow any rightful owner of a trademark to apply for trademark protection without regard of national origin.

Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer