Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I want to obtain copyrights for a group of songs that I will…

Customer Question
I want to obtain...

I want to obtain copyrights for a group of songs that I will be recording and preforming with my band. Do I need to obtain a separate copyright for each song, or can I accomplish the same thing by copyrighting the group of songs as a whole?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

I have computer files containing containing complete arrangements for every song, plus other files that contain the words of each of the songs. I also have printed copies of all of these files.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

Nothing has been filed in court. I don't live in a large-market city, and I don't know if there is a local lawyer that handles such things.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

For 3 of my 25 songs, I have borrowed words and/or music from existing songs and know that I will have to pay royalties. On one song, I have used short excerpts from 6 famous songs. I am hoping that the excerpts are short enough that I can avoid paying royalties. One other song is a variation of a song which, I believe, is in the public domain.

Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
12/12/2017
IP Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 5 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer

Hello and welcome. I am working on your answer and will be right back!

Is the IP to the songs all held by one entity or person?

With the exceptions already mentioned, the IP is held by one person.

You have a couple of options. You can reach out and negotiate a license from that holder. Alternatively, you may argue the use amounts to fair use, minimal, a new creative and distinct product, and in the public domain.

You may proceed directly or through local counsel, kindly let me know if my reply is fast and acceptable, by responding "yes"

Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer