Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I have been preparing to launch a new business named "Next…

Customer Question
I have been preparing to...
I have been preparing to launch a new business named "Next Wireless" for a year or so. When I was doing research in the beginning, I found no trademarks for the name "Next Wireless." However, I did a search today and found that there is a trademark for "Next Wireless," that was registered in September. The business does different operations than I will when I launch.The other company deals with refurbishing physical mobile devices. My business will be selling cellular data/voice services.My question is, if I go for a trademark, do you think my business is different enough from theirs to not be any legal trouble? I would hate to spend all the money to get a trademark to be declined.
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/9/2017
IP Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 4 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
The businesses are different but in the same industry and could create consumer confusion. You practically should consider selecting a new name or seeing if holder of the mark will agree to change its name. Otherwise you risk a claim.Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding “yes” or “acceptable”
Awaiting your reply, thank you!
Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer