Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

We are an online retailer, selling through various

Customer Question
marketplaces such as Amazon, Ebay...
We are an online retailer, selling through various marketplaces such as Amazon, Ebay, etc, we resell liquidation merchandise, that means we buy lots of varied brands, eventually we are unable to list and sell certain brand items due to Intellectual Property rights, for this cases we need to contact the brand and request authorization to sell these items on the specific marketplace, I need a letter sample of how I can formally contact a brand/company, introducing our business and requesting authorization to resell the overstock items we have for their brand.
Submitted: 7 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
11/29/2017
IP Lawyer: Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago
Robert McEwen, Esq.

Thank you for using JustAnswer.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Why are you unable to list and sell due to intellectual property rights? Who told you that?

Amazon told us that! We sell overstock merchandise from hundreds of different brands, and sometimes Amazon stops us from selling determined brands, and they ask that we provide an authorization from the brand so we can resume our sales for that specific brand online.

I see. What brands are these?

Levi's, Coach, Ralph Lauren, etc

I see. I don't actually handle drafting matters, but rather I answer questions. I had thought you had a question on intellectual property and legality of this, but I see that you're asking about the drafting of a letter. As this is more of a drafting question rather than legality of reselling, I will opt out and allow another expert to assist you further.

IP Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Thank you for your question.

I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, but state law does forbid any attorney on this site from engaging in representation, so you would need to engage a local attorney to represent you and write the letter for you. If you merely would like the theory on which you would write your letter to Amazon yourself to inform them of your right to resell without permission from each company, we can provide that to you.

Let us know.

I just want a letter sample that I would write to the brand myself, introducing my company and requesting that they authorize us to resell the items we hold in our inventory.

Thank you for your reply.

Legally you do not need such authorization. Let me explain.

Under trademark law there is something called "the first sale doctrine," which cuts off a trademark owner’s rights after its product is first sold. Therefore, once a brand owner releases its good into the marketplace, its right to control the distribution of the good is exhausted. The resale of genuine trademarked goods, even if not authorized, does not constitute trademark infringement and does not require permission. Resellers can advertise they’re selling new, used, or reconditioned goods bearing the trademark as long as they do not say they are authorized sellers for the brand and no permission from the brand company is required.

The case is Tiffany (NJ) Inc. v. eBay Inc.,***** 647 (2010) where the Supreme Court held that if someone legally buys legitimate brand merchandise, they have a right to resell that merchandise in its original condition (new, used) without permission or authorization from the brand owner and in order to stop resale the brand owner must prove the items are counterfeit items.

Again, I cannot write the letter for you, but you should have the information above to craft your own letter and I would be glad to review the letter you write if you would like in order to stay within the laws and rules we need to operate under.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Can you indicate another professional who could elaborate the letter for me, I don't need representation, I just need a letter elaborated in a formal way.

Thank you for your reply.

You misunderstood completely I am afraid. None of the attorneys on this site can engage in representation. Writing a letter for customers constitutes representation under state laws, which is why none of the attorneys on this site can do so without violating state laws.

What you have been provided, if you simply read it, can easily be formatted by YOU into your letter that you are seeking, it is just simply no expert here can actually write the letter for you. If you want that, then you would need to go to a local attorney and pay their regular office fees for them to represent you and write the letter. Letter writing is indeed considered representation, which many customers misunderstand. I do apologize for any such misunderstanding.

I'm sorry not being very clear on my request! I don't want to clash against the brand by telling them my rights or so, all I need is the help to elaborate a letter asking for their authorization to resell some of their products.I'll explain again: I buy apparel lots from a liquidation company that sells overstock inventory, the lots come with different brands, and some of the items when I try to list them on Amazon to resell them, I'm informed by Amazon that I need to request the brand authorization to resell the items.Therefore all I need is the help to elaborate a letter to send to the brand in question, something similar to:"Dear Brand Owner,
We are an online retail company, operating in this market for the last 7yrs, upon attempting to list items related to this brand on Amazon, we have been asked to contact you and request authorization to resell your products.
We source your products with liquidation companies that sell overstock merchandise, and we'll be more than happy to provide any further information if needed."So basically, that's what I need to write, however, in a formal way, better elaborated, because I know I'm dealing with "big fish" therefore they would ignore my request if not being made in a professional way.Can you still not help?

Thank you for your reply.

What I am telling you is legally you DO NOT NEED BRAND AUTHORIZATION to resell them under the law. Amazon is wrong about what you are being told.

However, if you want a letter written to the brand manufacturers seeking permission, which is not usually granted easily by these manufacturers, again, letter writing is considered legal representation so we cannot actually write the letter for you.

All you have to do if you do not want to clash with the brand manufacturer is you write them stating that you have purchased overstock lots of inventory of their brand and you are asking their authorization to sell the overstock lots you have purchased. It is not a long or complex letter, but from experience, in most cases the brand manufacturer will simply not reply or will deny the request (even though they have no legal right to deny you, because they lost their right after the first sale as explained above).