Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Can you tell me how to answer a trademark opposition on my…

Customer Question
Can you tell me...

Can you tell me how to answer a trademark opposition on my own?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the trademark federally registered?

Yes it is

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No,

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No, I cannot afford an attorney at this time.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Hello is anyone there?
11/23/2017
IP Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
DamienJD
DamienJD, Lawyer

Hello: My name is ***** ***** I am an attorney. Do you have a copy of the third party opposition to your trademark application?

is this the answer I get to justify charging me an additional $35?!

No. That is just an information request. I am developing the answer for you.

To draft your answer to the trademark opposition, you must admit or deny every allegation asserted by the opposition. In other words, you would take each paragraph and either admit, deny or claim lack of information known to either admit or deny. You would also, assert in plain terms any applicable defenses to the allegations set forth in the opposition. Typical defenses include unclean hands, laches, estoppel, acquiescence, fraud, mistake, prior registration or any other common affirmative defense. You may also assert counterclaims in your answer when applicable. You would have to serve and file the answer also.

We can discuss further if you want to do so. Do you have any further questions?

IP Lawyer: DamienJD, Lawyer replied 7 months ago

Hello again! Checking in to see if you need further help. Your satisfaction is my goal, and I'm happy to answer a related follow-up question you may have. If I have not answered your question completely or missed a question, please let me know and I will attempt to answer it. If you are satisfied with your answer, please provide a positive rating between 3 and 5 stars at no extra charge so I can get paid for the service I provided to you. Best regards.