Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I just made my own website and put a 2017 copyright symbol…

Customer Question
I just made my...

I just made my own website and put a 2017 copyright symbol at the bottom of the page is that sufficient or do I have to register the website. If so, how much does it cost?

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the IP Attorney's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

Is there a form to fill out. Where can I get a copy and submit it?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

Just the website prototype files that I worked on!

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No, yet

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How much is this going to cost!

Lawyer's Assistant: It can cost anywhere from $10 to $100, depending on the type of issue and how much of the IP Attorney's time your question is expected to take (how complex and lengthy an answer you require).

O.k. connect me!

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
11/7/2017
IP Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Because I want to provide you with the most accurate answer possible, do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

Thanks so much for your patience. Generally, under the Copyright Act, if you have created a writing, recording, or photograph (or in your case a website,) then you automatically have a copyright on that material. There is no need to put the copyright symbol and there is no need to register it with the US Copyright Office. In your case though, you may want to consider doing both because it makes it easier to prove that you own the copyright. Otherwise, there are no other steps you need to do.

What other questions did you have for me?

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further before you rated. If you have any other questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know.