Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

My church women's group has come up with a slogan and logo…

Customer Question
My church women's group has...
My church women's group has come up with a slogan and logo that we would like to protect. This slogan will be used in conjuction with themed workshops with varied offerings, but still being related to the slogan. I have been researching the trademark and copyright process and would like some assistance with defining the application process. I believe this will fall as a service with the US TradeMark office. At this point, we have not used the slogan, but it will be the team of our upcoming women's conference.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
10/2/2017
IP Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly

100% satisfaction rating (click here for more info) so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Take your time. Thank you.

Okay, thank you very much for your patience. What specific questions did you have for me regarding this?

By it being a slogan with a logo, how should we file? Do we need to copyright the logo and trademark the slogan? The slogan will be used to establish brand and not necessarily on goods. We really want to protect the slogan and logo. Looking for clarity on the filing process.Thank you

Hi, thanks for your patience. Generally, if it is a slogan with a logo, then you will not need to file a copyright. A copyright is for things such as a writing, record, or phone record (e.g. music). You would in fact file a trademark on both the slogan, the logo, or the slogan and logo together if they are inseparable. As far as the exact filing process, I am not 100% familiar with the process, but I do know that the Copyright Act would not apply and you can get your trademark on those things that you mentioned. Did you have any other questions for me?