Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

If a company in Europe starts using our trademark for their…

Customer Question
If a company in Europe...
If a company in Europe starts using our trademark for their company and is targeting customers in the United States, but they don't have a physical entity in the United States, what can we do? We know they are selling to companies in the United States. I would basically want to file some kind of court action that could either prevent them from selling in the United States and allow our company to collect on any revenue generated from sales in the United States.
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
9/30/2017
IP Lawyer: Asad Rahman, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer

At this point, I would recommend you have an attorney send a cease and desist letter demanding that they stop use of your trademark and threaten legal action. First, a judge will expect that you try this before filing in court and it also saves expense as it opens the door to negotiating a resolution.

Hello, I do not think that would be effective as it has been done. The issue is that they do not have an entity in the United States. Their first reaction would be that they do not have a U.S. entity but they are selling to customers in the United States.
If you do not know the answer, please open the question to another attorney. Thanks.

Once they began selling to the US customer base, they became subject to US laws via the commerce clause of the Constitution. In my experience, this is the right course of action.