Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

The simple version, and yes i totally understand there is…

Customer Question
The simple version, and...

The simple version, and yes i totally understand there is never a truly simple answer. If you buy a commercial product at full price and use it as part of a derivative work can you resell it and make reference to the original. Example: I buy a classic comic book, and then frame it with some cards of the same character. My product is the art and parts of the framing. Can i then advertise a framed ____ for sale. or will i be using their character name without lic.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Getting in trouble for useing _____ name as part of an advertising program without their permission. I am not lic to sell _____ products. But i am buying one at full price for each unit i am selling from someone who is.

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

In what regards? I dont have permission from anyone, that is the issue.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

Nope... not all all, not doing it yet, and i would like to which is why i am posting this question, i assume you will connected me to one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other then there is no "case" here just looking for a consult before i start

Submitted: 10 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
IP Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 10 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

OK but that was not the question....

I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me.

The short answer is that you can sell the product. Stand by for the details.