Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

The simple version, and yes i totally understand there is…

Customer Question
The simple version, and...

The simple version, and yes i totally understand there is never a truly simple answer. If you buy a commercial product at full price and use it as part of a derivative work can you resell it and make reference to the original. Example: I buy a classic comic book, and then frame it with some cards of the same character. My product is the art and parts of the framing. Can i then advertise a framed ____ for sale. or will i be using their character name without lic.?

Lawyer's Assistant: What confuses you?

Getting in trouble for useing _____ name as part of an advertising program without their permission. I am not lic to sell _____ products. But i am buying one at full price for each unit i am selling from someone who is.

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

In what regards? I dont have permission from anyone, that is the issue.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

Nope... not all all, not doing it yet, and i would like to which is why i am posting this question, i assume you will connected me to one.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Other then there is no "case" here just looking for a consult before i start

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/25/2017
IP Lawyer: Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

OK but that was not the question....

I am working on your answer now. Please bear with me.

The short answer is that you can sell the product. Stand by for the details.

Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq.
Robert McEwen, Esq., Lawyer