Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I need to hire an attorney to procure license to use music…

Customer Question
I need to hire...

I need to hire an attorney to procure license to use music for my play. I have an attorney in mind, I o not know how to proceed.

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

NONE from others, but 1 email/nonstandard local artists! A pending contract with publisher (French), the work is award winning/national and Equity production in LORT/NFP theatres. I want to assure that I've got the rights to proceed with the music that I'd originally envisioned.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

Nothing filed in court. Local attorney no. Thought it best to look for a theatre attorney in NYC. Am I biased?

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

How do I procure? Do I pay a retainer just to speak with an attorney? How can I assess fees?

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/18/2017
IP Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. One of the hardest things to do sometimes is find a lawyer that you can trust. Google searches are a good place to start, but usually the lawyers who pay the most can get bumped up to be on the first page regardless of their quality. One thing I recommend is going through your state’s lawyer referral service (LRS). The LRS in each state typically requires the attorney to have several years of practice, be free of discipline, and have adequate staffing to assist people. Here is the link for the New York City LRS click here. Whether you pay a retainer will depend heavily on the fee structure set up by the attorney. Most attorneys require at least some retainer in a situation like yours, but you’ll need to speak with them about that.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer