Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Need copyright 21 words and small sketch cost? It is a tech…

Customer Question
Need copyright 21 words...

Need copyright 21 words and small sketch cost ?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

It is a tech document

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
9/13/2017
IP Lawyer: Thomas Swartz, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Thomas Swartz

Hello JACUSTOMER,

The cost to register a copyright is minimal if you do it yourself online at the U.S. Copyright Office's website. The fee for online registration is $35 if it is a single work by a single author. If you are going to hire an attorney to do it for you, you are going to pay a couple of hundred dollars plus the registration fee. Before spending a couple of hundred dollars on an attorney, I would go ahead and read the Copyright Office's Registration Portal website to get familiar with the process so that you can do it yourself. You will have to go through the various categories of works to see which type of work your 21 words and small sketch best falls in. But after that, the process is pretty simple.

You should also be aware that copyright protection actually begins the moment you place something in fixed form. The registration process with the Copyright Office is actually something different and separate and not required until you actually want to enforce the copyright and really just puts the world on notice that you own the copyright. You should read Copyright Basics for basic copyright law.

Thomas