Ray, Lawyer
Experience:  30 years in civil, probate, real estate, elder law
8534270

I live in a townhouse condo. The stack pipe in my basement

Customer Question

I live in a townhouse condo. The stack pipe in my basement malfunctioned. My neighbor's sink was overflowing with the contents. She is suing me for her deductibles and lawyer fees. Is it true that she cannot sue for legal fees?
Her unit was completely remodeled by the Association's insurance company. Can she sue me ($2,000 deductible and $3,000 attorney fees)?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question and respond.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

She can sue here but she may not prevail.You can dispute here claiming act of god and similar defenses.You would want to file a claim here disputing liability.If the Association paid a claim here arguably they are liable not you.

Expert:  Ray replied 1 month ago.

Answer forms to file and dispute.

http://courts.mi.gov/administration/scao/forms/courtforms/mc03.pdf

You could try and settle here for a lesser amount and no lawyer fees.

I appreciate the chance to help you today.Thanks.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.