Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

I am a military veteran. I have a couple of lines from a…

Customer Question
I am a military...

I am a military veteran. I have a couple of lines from a song I wrote several years ago about homeless veterans, that I would like to donate as a slogan for one of the organizations that build homes for veterans in need. If they would accept & use it, it would be online & possibly in national commercials. Before I approach these organizations, how do I protect that slogan from being ripped off by any of the millions of people who will see it, and try to claim it as theirs & use it for their own profit. Or to use in some other written or musical form & expand it into a larger format such as a song, a written essay or TV show, etc?

Lawyer's Assistant: What written documentation do you have?

The entire song is copyrighted.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?

No, that's the reason I'm asking you first. I would have nothing to file in court at this point, like a complaint, because I haven't acted on offering it to any veteran's homeless organizations yet.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/6/2017
IP Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago
Roy Hadavi

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with extensive intellectual property experience. I would be happy to provide assistance. Did I understand correctly, you have already registered for a copyright for the slogan/song?
Also, please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only.

I have.
Is that $59 in addition to the initial $50 I was quoted?
IP Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago

Then you have already acquired the necessary protection to ensure that no one is able to infringe upon your work. Make sure that any time you write down the slogan/song that you include the circle c and the year that you created the work. This will provide notice to any third-party that the mark is protected.

As for the cost of the question, you will have to contact JustAnswer customer service. I am a user, just like you, and I do not know the total cost of the question.

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your question. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow-up or clarification questions, please ask! There is no additional fee. If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service (hopefully Excellent/5 stars!). Otherwise, I receive no credit for assisting you today. I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

I don't like the way this is headed. I'm out & please don't charge me any more than the $5 deposit. And cancel my trial membership right now. Please respond to tell me that has been done. Thank you.
IP Lawyer: Roy Hadavi,
 replied 8 months ago

Again, I am just a user, like you. I do not have the ability to do any of that. Please contact customer service. I will flag the question as well.

I see that you've already charged me $55 with no advice. Cancel that transaction now!
Or I will contact my credit card company immediately & dispute the charge.
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi
Roy Hadavi