Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

If customer places an order with a printing company and it

Customer Question

If customer places an order with a printing company and it has a logo on it that you're not sure if they have permission to use. How liable is the printing company if they proceed with the order? Or is the infringement only on the customer.
JA: What written documentation do you have?
Customer: I don't have any written documentation
JA: Have you talked to a local attorney? Has anything been filed in court?
Customer: No, this just occurred and I'm not sure how to proceed
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: ??
JA: What confuses you?
Customer: I don't know of anything else to ask
Category: Intellectual Property Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 2 months ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. In cases like these generally the printing company is only going to have limited liability. However, the liability goes up the less the printing company inquires or finds out whether the customer has the right to reproduce that logo. So, if the printing company learns that the customer does not have the right to reproduce the logo and they reproduce the local anyway, than the printing company could have liability for infringing on the trademark. On the other hand, if the printing company doesn't no one has no realistic way to find out whether somebody has the right to reproduce that particular trade more, than the printing company will probably not have any liability. Therefore, as you can see that it is not automatic whether they do or don't have liability, it would be up to the party claiming the trademark infringement that the printing company had some sort of hand in reproducing their logo illegally.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Hello, it’s been awhile since we connected so I wanted to check in with you to see if you had any further questions or if there is anything else I can assist you with today. Please reply here and let me know. Thank you.