Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual property law questions? Ask a lawyer

Joseph Stalin died in 1953, and the photograph taken by

Customer Question
Joseph Stalin died in...

Joseph Stalin died in 1953, and the photograph taken by "Sputnik" was taken in 1937. How am I do get a release to use the image in my artwork?

Lawyer's Assistant: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.

I am in California.

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I have not done the picture yet because I do not want to waste my time if I cannot do anything. I tried the Getty first, but I cannot afford a $600.00 release plus the photos are different. I just want one photo of Stalin that I can use. I tried historic stock, but they do not have Stalin.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Intellectual Property Law
8/2/2017
IP Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
N Cal Attorney

Thank you for your question.

Can you please post a link to the image you want to use?

Alex Reese
Alex Reese
Alex Reese, Lawyer