Intellectual Property Law

Intellectual Property Law Questions? Ask a Lawyer

Intellectual Property Law

I am planning on publishing a book with a section of quotes

from famous people. Some...
I am planning on publishing a book with a section of quotes from famous people. Some of the quotes are from people now deceased but who died after 1923. It would seem problematic to track down points of contact from the respective estates. If I publish and am challenged, is an acceptable redress to republish with the challenged quote or quotes removed?
8/1/2017
Gerald-Esquire

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience. I have received scholarship recognition in regard to copyright. I also happen to be a published author. I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

If you are using only short quotes and if you are using them in a way to make or highlight a larger point that you are making in your book, then it is very likely that your use is protected under the fair use doctrine of the US Copyright Laws.

Also if you are using the quotes in a way that creates a sort of compendium of the quotes, then again your use is likely covered under the "transformative use" provisions of the fair use doctrine.

The fair use doctrine permits the use without permission of the protected works of another under certain circumstances.

This article describes the fair use doctrine in detail:

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/overview/fair-use/what-is-fair-use/

There is also the possibility that some of the work that you are using has fallen into public domain. This article lists the critical dates to be aware of in regard to public domain:

http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

Public domain notwithstanding, you should be comfortable if your use appears to meet the Fair Use criteria.

I would be pleased to discuss that criteria in more depth if you wish.

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald

Gerald-Esquire
Thank you very much for your prompt response. It was very helpful!

You are very welcome.

Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer